Single Stream Recycling by County Waste and Recycling, or SSR, lets you put all your recyclables into one, large, green-lidded container that rolls right to the curb. It’s the easiest way to recycle ever.
Residential Recycling Carts
65 Gallon Recycling Cart
(Gray w/green lid)
95 Gallon Recycling Cart
(Gray w/green lid)
- All Plastic Bottles & Containers (#1-7) with Caps & Lids ATTACHED
- All Office and School Paper
- Clean, Balled Aluminum Foil (2" or Larger) and Pie Pans
- Corrugated Cardboard & Paper Bags
- Empty Aerosol Cans (No Caps)
- Empty Pizza Boxes
- File Folders
- Glass Bottles & Jars
- Magazines, Brochures & Catalogs
- Newspapers & Inserts (No Plastic Bags)
- Opened Mail, Junk Mail, and Greeting Cards
- Paper-back Books
- Paperboard Boxes
- Paper Egg Cartons
- Paper Milk/Juice Cartons (No Foil Pouches)
- Phone Books
- Prescription drug bottles (empty)
- Rigid Plastics
- Shredded Paper (must be in clear plastic bags)
- Audio & VHS Cassettes
- Christmas Lights
- Clothing or Textiles
- Compostable Plastic
- Drinking Glasses
- Hard Back Books
- Hazardous or Bio-Hazardous Waste
- Hoses, Ropes, Wire, Cords, Chain, or Cable
- Light Bulbs
- Needles, Syringes and Medical Waste
- Paper-To-Go Containers
- Paper Ream Wrappers
- Paper Towels
- Plastic 6-Pack Holders
- Plastic Bags
- Plastic Microwave Trays
- PVC Pipes
- Tarps or Pool Covers
- Yard Waste
Advantages of Single Stream Recycling
- Easier for you—No sorting or separating, no blue bins to carry, protection from animals and wind, and weekly pick-up service.
- Better for your neighborhood—Your new, single container looks and functions much more neatly than the old blue bins.
- Better for the environment—Communities are recycling more, some by a margin of 24%. This means less garbage ends up in the landfill, and one truck instead of two in suburban and rural areas lowers fuel consumption and carbon emissions.
- Better value—County Waste & Recycling rates are already highly competitive, and SSR comes at no extra charge for the container or the service.
How It Works:
Your Single Stream Recycling container comes in a choice of size: 35-gallon, 65-gallon, or 95-gallon. It takes all of your recyclables—paper, glass, cardboard, aluminum, and more kinds of plastics than before—and keeps them securely contained with its distinctive green lid.
From your home, it will be transported to our new, state-of-the-art processing facility near the Port in the City of Albany. There, conveyors, magnets, rollers, screens, and other technologies separate the recyclables by type and bundle them for shipment to the places that will use them to make new products.
Q: What is Single Stream Recycling (SSR)?
A: County Waste & Recycling’s new Single Stream Recycling (SSR) service allows you to put paper, glass, cans, cardboard, plastics, and other approved recyclable materials in a single recycling bin for collection. SSR has proven to be an effective way to increase recycling in communities and decrease the amount of recyclable material that ends up in landfills.
Q: How does Single Stream Recycling benefit communities?
A: It encourages people to recycle more, and that’s a clear, community-wide environmental benefit. As more dual-purpose trucks are phased in, all trash and recycling will be picked up by a single truck, reducing our carbon footprint with fewer trucks on the roads, less fuel consumption, and decreased carbon emissions.
Q: Where do the single stream materials go to be recycled?
A: We own and operate Sierra Processing, a state-of-the-art single stream recycling sorting plant in Albany, NY. It is the only recycling sorting plant in the Albany area.
Q: Who qualifies for Single Stream Recycling?
A: Single Stream Recycling is available for both residential and commercial customers in Columbia County, Greene County and Ulster County.
Q: How often will my recyclables be picked up?
A: Residential recyclables will be collected every week, on the same day as your regular trash collection. Commercial customers will receive service as often as your business needs.
Q: Does the new green-topped recycling container come in different sizes?
A: When you sign up for new service, we can help determine which size will work best for you. Please call us at 518-877-7007 and we will assist you.
Q: Can I put shredded paper in the recycling container?
A: Yes, if the shredded paper is first placed inside a paper or plastic bag before going into the new SSR green-topped recycling container. Make sure the bags are secured at the top so the shredded paper doesn’t come loose.
Q: Can I put small metal pieces in the recycling container?
Q: Can I include Styrofoam in my recycling?
A: Styrofoam does not currently qualify as a SSR acceptable item.
Q: What can I place in my recycling container?
A: Acceptable items. See list above
Q: Do I have to recycle?
A: Recycling is strongly recommended. It is good for the environment and our communities -- and with the addition of SSR, it’s now very convenient.
Q: Where can I find out more?
A: Contact County Waste & Recycling at 518-877-7007 to speak with one of our helpful customer service representatives.